Congratulations you have SOLD stickers on your lawn. Being organized will help make your move a little smoother so here is a simple checklist that can help to make sure you get the important items taken care of.
At First Sign of Sold Stickers
- Book your moving company or truck rental company early.
- If you are moving out of town, contact your doctor, veterinarian, insurance agent and your child’s school to find out what you have to do to transfer your records – or insurance coverage – to a new location. Also cancel or transfer any memberships such as gym or various organizations and volunteer groups.
- If you’re moving into a condo, find out what’s involved in booking the elevator (i.e. deposit) and book it as soon as possible. Two months before moving day:
- Start gathering moving supplies – boxes, packing tape, newspaper, etc.
- Change your mailing address as well as sign up for a mail forwarding service provided by Canada Post to ensure you get all your mail for the next 12 months.
One month before moving day
- Get packing! Start with the items you don’t use on a regular basis. Make sure boxes are clearly marked with the new room destination as well as a list of the contents.
Now is the time to start notifying everyone about your upcoming address change. Here is a breakdown of who this list should include:
- Utilities: electricity, gas, water, telephone, cable, fuel, appliance services
- People/Organizations: friends, relatives, religious groups, business associates, hair salon
- Insurance/Finances: life/accident/personal property insurance provider, bank, credit card company, retail charge cards
- Publications: newspapers, magazines
- Business Accounts: dry cleaner, drug store
- Government Offices: health, vehicle registration and drivers license, income tax
- Professional Services: doctor, dentist, lawyer, accountant
Two weeks before moving day
- Check in with your moving/truck rental company – just to be safe.
- Cancel or transfer your newspaper service.
- Transfer your hydro/utilities account and your cable/phone. Make sure you cancel the services the day after you move out, and activate the hydro at your new residence the day before you move in.
One week to the actual day
- Most of your packing should be completed
- If moving a great distance, prepare a detailed map and directions for your movers including a cell phone number you can be reached at on moving day.
- Pack a travel bag with the items your family may need on moving day such as tooth brushes, change of clothing, medications, hair bushes, soap, toilet paper, paper plates and cups, aspirin, etc.
- If you are moving yourself, start dismantling dressers, tables and other large furniture.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator at least 24 hours before moving day
- Supervise movers as they load and unload the truck, check items before the movers leave to ensure no damage.
Deb Moysiuk, ABR, ASA, Broker
RE/MAX Chatham-Kent Realty Inc., Brokerage
Cell: (519) 809-1555
Direct Toll Free: